Listen to Paul and join his Theme Discussions!
Focus Session | An outsourcing story from pre-study, through business case calculation, go live until now
Vattenfall decided to outsource source to contract, purchase to pay, order to cash, record to report and accounts payable operations in 2017. A thorough plan was created with implementation steps and phases. Processes have been mapped and responsibilities split in order to maintain control and to focus on core capabilities.
Go live was planned for beginning of 2019 combined with a system implementation but due to a delay in that implementation, Vattenfall has initiated as-is transition of activities based on current systems and processes.
Draw from the pre-study made – when should you outsource, what should you outsource and how do you calculate the business case? Draw from the go live-phase – how do you ensure strategies develop as planned – how do you communicate with stakeholders and how do you adapt to changes? Learn from the governance experiences to date and how well the original strategies are still intact.
- Why did Vattenfall decide to outsource and how has the strategy and scope changed?
- How do you decide what to outsource and what to see as business critical?
- How do you adapt when system implementation don’t go as planned and technologies evolve?
- What has happened with tasks and responsibilities in Vattenfall due to outsourcing?
- How do you set up KPI’s and measure performance (both by the BPO provider and internal stakeholder compliance)?
Theme Discussion | How do you create an outsourcing relationship that can adapt to changes?
Since Vattenfall decided to outsource source to contract, purchase to pay, order to cash, record to report and accounts payable operations they have learned a lot. Experience you can here draw from and compare with yours. In times of rapid change both in markets, companies and technology wise what was a reality at the time of a strategy created may not be he truth at go live or beyond. Discuss challenges and opportunities in creating a broad outsourcing scope, what to consider and how to ensure you get what you need and not only what you ask for.
- How can you create outsourcing strategies that can adapt to changes?
- What are the change management challenges and how can you overcome them?
- In what ways can you measure and communicate desired and actual outcome?